Veteran Aid and Attendance Benefit For Assisted Living
You or a loved one may qualify to receive funding to help you afford a senior living residence. If you are a United States veteran or surviving spouse of a veteran, you may qualify to receive $1,000 - $2,000 per month to help defray the cost of assisted living through the Aid & Attendance Program. This benefit is not dependent upon service-related injuries for compensation. It allows for Veterans and surviving spouses who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in day-today activities to receive additional monetary compensation and care in an assisted living facility also qualifies. Additionally this is a tax-free benefit that most veterans needing assistance qualify for.
What is the Aid & Attendance Benefit?
Aid & Attendance is a Federal benefit that was added onto a need-based pension offered through The Department of Veteran Affairs. It provides benefits for veterans and surviving spouses who need assistance with their activities of daily living and meet specific requirements. Care provided in an assisting living facility qualifies.
What are the benefits of Aid & Attendance?
Effective December 1, 2011, the maximum monthly benefit for the Aid & Attendance level of pension is:
- Veteran with no Spouse or dependent children: $1,703
- Veteran with spouse needing care $1,337
- A married Veteran where the Veteran requires care: $2,019
- Surviving Spouse of a Veteran: $1,094
How do you qualify for the Aid & Attendance Benefit?
The Veteran's Administration offers pension benefits to Veterans (or Surviving Spouses of Veterans) under two circumstances:
1. If the Veteran: received discharge from service under any condition other than dishonorable, served at least 90 days of active military service 1 day of which was during a war-time period, AND (or Surviving Spouse) is age 65 or older, or
2. The Veteran is permanently and totally-disabled, AND total countable family income is below an annual limit set by law.
Periods of wartime are:
World War I: 5/9/1916-11/11/1918
World War II: 12/07/1941-12/31/1946
Korean Conflict: 6/27/1950-1/31/1955
Vietnam Era: 8/5/1964-5/7/1975
Persian Gulf: 8/20/1990-present
A Golden Years Living Solution's Senior Living Advisor can help you learn more about the Aid & Attendance Program. Please call us today @ 914-437-8675.